Background

Saturday, June 28, 2014

June 4th-7th

Dear Family,

It is 12:30 p.m., I can't believe a week ago I was sitting with you all at Denny's. Feels like a lifetime ago! Sometimes I can't believe I'm here! I actually woke up Monday morning super groggy and had a 10 second freak out as to my location. Bless my heart. Speaking of Denny's, turns out Hermana Atkin was there and tried to figure out if Hayley's scrubs was actually a dress of if I was the missionary! Now she know!

Officially 1 week down! 77 to go!!! So pretty much my package made my life last night! It gave each of us a much needed laugh! I love you so much!! I forgot about the cookies today, but I will take a tub to class tomorrow to share with the Elders! Loving treats that is for sure!!! Why are you so amazing? :)

I'm trying to be better with taking pictures. I will steal some from those with whom I'm serving for you haha. Quote of the day: I was doing Personal Study (as was everyone else) when we needed to do companion study. Well, I was on a scripture hunt and said, "One second, I'm on a mission." To which Hermana Atkin responded, "Literally." I think we are sleep deprived, because we laughed about that for so long!!! We are special.

Remember in "The Best 2 Years" when the mail drama is going on? Well, I am 'Elder Vanpelt' (spelling?) in our District. Today... Hermana Martin... Martin... Martin... Atkin... Martin... Martin... Walker... Martin... 6 letters! That is the new goal to beat hahaha. I was on cloud 9! But also sad that 9:30 (we can't open letters until then) couldn't come sooner!

I write in my journal (almost) every day. Most days I get home, shower, have 10 minutes, then rush to get to bed before 10:30. So it makes journal writing difficult. Typical day in the life of Sierra...

6:20 a.m. - Wake-up. Yay. I have actually not had a problem with this. Surprised?
7:00-7:25 a.m. - Breakfast. They come up with the weirdest stuff sometimes! This morning" on an English muffin, it had almost stuffing-like... stuff, and a poached egg with gravy. Not gonna lie, did not sit well after a few bites. Yay for Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
7:30-10:30 a.m. Class- which is always a combination of class (doctrinal) and Spanish lessons.
10:30-11:40 a.m. - Gym! Most days volleyball. We play basketball sometimes and are playing soccer tomorrow.
11:40-12:15 p.m. - Go get sack lunches. We can't be in the cafeteria without church clothes, so we just get sack lunches and then change.
12:45-4:30 p.m. - Class with Elder Hermano Howard. Great teacher. Lots of Spanish...
4:30-5:10 p.m. - Dinner. Usually very good. Tonight was chicken, mashed potatoes, carrots, salad, and I got chocolate milk (same for every meal).
5:15-6:15 p.m. - Personal Study- I usually spend it in the scriptures, reading PMG (Preach My Gospel), etc...
6:15-7:15 p.m. - Companion Study with mis compaƱeras :) we practice lessons to do with investigators.
7:15-9:15 p.m. - SPANISH! We have an online computer system called TALL that we do, study our vocab HW for the nigh, do old Spanish Spanish Spanish.
9:15-9:30 p.m. - Devotional with the whole Zone. We take turns giving the devotional. Then prayer.
Walk home.. get ready for bed...
10:15-10:30 p.m. - Quiet time- mostly journal writing, but also still getting ready for bed.
10:30 p.m. - Bedtime!! Or else... no benediciĆ³nes para me.

Well... You're welcome!! A day in the life of Hermana Martin. Sundays and Tuesdays we go up to main campus for Devotionals. There is a bus that takes us up. Also, during the day, a bus comes every 30 minutes because on P Day we go up to go to the temple.

So I freaked out my teacher tonight. AKA, I inspired him. So we are supposed to share a scripture with a partner from personal study. He was my partner. I did the 'flip your scriptures open' trick and ended up in 1 Corinthians 13. Charity chapter. Muy bueno. Pero, I remembered how the Book of Mormon used to not have chapters. Neither did the Bible. So... after 13 awesome verses on the necessity of Charity, 1 Corinthians 4:1... "Follow after charity, and spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy." So after all these scriptures on the greatness of Charity, plus the seeking of spiritual gifts - AKA seeking after attributes of God and becoming more like Him - it is all for the purpose of sharing it with other and THUS glorifying your Father in Heaven (Matthew 5:16). If you don't share it, you are nothing. If you don't have Charity, you are nothing. Stay awesome. Be valiant. Haha, but Hermano Howard wigged out, ran and got his scriptures, wrote notes in his journal and scriptures and we had like a 5 minutes discussion instead of quickly sharing. Pretty cool!

Love you all :) I'm so happy here! Can't wait to get out there!

Love, Sierra

No comments:

Post a Comment